Thursday, October 3, 2013

Anesthesia Turns ACL Surgery into a Nightmare


16-year-old Holly Sealey went into St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond, VA on a Thursday morning to get a standard out-patient procedure on her knee and came out five days later after having a brain seizure and cardiac arrest. 


On her winter break trip to the mountains, Holly lost control while skiing and injured her knee. She was told she had torn her ACL and her only way to recover was knee surgery.

"Okay I'm going to give you an alcohol wipe and then I'm going to give you the shot and that's going to be the anesthesia for your leg and then we will go get Mom and Dad and bring them back in here... the last thing I remember is the alcohol swipe." 

The anesthesiologist administered the anesthesia and what Holly thought would take a couple hours turned into a couple of days. 



A few seconds after the anesthesia, Holly went into cardiac arrest and had a brain seizure. She didn't have a heart beat for four minutes and it took the doctors 10 minutes to get her heart rate back to normal. 

"I woke up they took like I was on catheter, and they had given me food through an IV, and fluids, and breathing tube and they started taking one by one things off and then at that point I just wanted, I had been in the hospital for four or five days and I was just ready to go home." 

Luckily Holly did not experience any brain damage from the incident and a month later she successfully got her ACL surgery.  

Now 20 years old, Holly enjoys running outdoors and other physical activities. 

     



1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting story. I'm not really sure how it relates to climate but, hey, it's a cool post. I like how you inserted plenty of pictures and a video to give us an idea of who she was.

    ReplyDelete