Friday, November 8, 2013

Living Strong with Type One Diabetes

She was the unexpected diagnoses and now uses her disease to make her stronger.

"I don't think it really effects my ability to succeed or my ability to be a friend or my ability to lead or my ability to be a girlfriend or daughter or my quality of life at all."



At age 11, Aubrey Duggar was diagnosed with type one diabetes. The doctors told her she had a slight chance of having the disease because her father and her older sister are both type one diabetic.

She was always petite when she was young and her mother knew there was something not right about her size. Aubrey's parents would bring her to the doctor about her size but would give no answer.
Aubrey said, "I was the size of an average six year old and I was 11 going on 12."She was 4'7" and 59 lbs.


Before she was diagnosed, Aubrey got the flu. After the flu wouldn't go away and she kept losing weight, her parents decided to check her blood sugar and the results were not good. An average blood sugar level is around 100 and her's was 536.

At a young age, Aubrey had to learn the daily return of being a diabetic. She said, "On a day to day basis it's just part of who I am and I don't think about it. I don't know anything different anymore. I don't know what it's like to not take shots."


Now, Aubrey is 21 and lives a very healthy life as a type one diabetic. She is a leader in her sorority and is very involved at her school. Aubrey said it is not always easy being a diabetic but she uses her story to make her stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment